Re: Comparative discussion between 'procmail' and 'mailagent'

1997-02-06 05:04:44
Era,

Cork is Ireland.  We're located on the southeast coast about 3-4 hours
south of Dublin.  It's the second largest city on the Island and quite a
nice place to live.  Since I'm from Chicago (in the US <grin>) on
assignment here for about 18 months, I'm enjoying the opportunity to travel
and experience the culture

I saw the FAQ talking about the *robustness* of procmail but wanted to
have a bit more detail as to why it's considered more robust.

I too am a devoted perl user as is my colleague.  She's very tempted to use
mailagent because it's written in perl and because supposedly Randal
Schwartz uses it. :)

Thanks for the help.

jte

------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
  John Ellis +353-21-511-487  | "They that give up essential liberty to obtain
  Motorola Cellular - Cork    |  a little safety deserve neither liberty nor
  ellis(_at_)cig(_dot_)mot(_dot_)com           |  safety."    -- Benjamin
Franklin

On Thu, 6 Feb 1997, era eriksson wrote:

On Thu, 6 Feb 1997 10:38:14 +0000 (GMT),
John T Ellis <ellis(_at_)cork(_dot_)cig(_dot_)mot(_dot_)com> wrote:
 > I was able to give her the salient points of why to use procmail however I
 > could not speak intelligently about mailagent.  Can anyone on this list
 > provide me with some thoughts on why you should use procmail over mailagent
 > or any other mail handling utility?

The Mail Filtering FAQ doesn't say anything explicitly really but
recommends Procmail over mailagent and <barf bag>filter</barf bag> --
at least in my reading, the text implies that Procmail is more robust.
  Seems to me like Mailagent couldn't be a totally bad choice, but
then I'm a devoted Perl user, so maybe I'm a bit biased ;^)
  [Mailagent is written in Perl, according to the FAQ.]

See for yourself:
    <http://www.cs.ruu.nl/wais/html/na-dir/mail/filtering-faq.html>

(... or the same at <http://www.landfield.com/faqs/>, whichever is
closer to you. "Cork" sounds like Ireland but who trusts geography
these days :-)

/* era */

--
See <http://www.ling.helsinki.fi/~reriksso/> for mantra, disclaimer, etc.
* If you enjoy getting spam, I'd appreciate it if you'd register yourself