Re: Another good one for your Procmail spam filter

1997-04-12 19:43:00
At 02:11 AM 4/13/97 +0300, era eriksson wrote:
On Sat, 12 Apr 1997 17:10:32 -0400 (EDT),
Robert Nicholson <steffi2(_at_)DGS(_dot_)dgsys(_dot_)com> wrote:

[snip]

it is my understanding that formail will only "canacolize" the mailing
<...>
canocalizes the mailing address regardless if I'm doing an auto response
or not?

You misspelled "cognacelize". Hope this helps.

Definitely time for some cagnoc... errrr... congac... errrr... cognac.

Am I missing something here?  I thought the idea was to Bcc onesself
on the mail, then have procmail recognize the Bcc and add the recipient
to an "OK" list before they can respond.  The purpose was to automatically
add recipients of mail you send to the OK list.

Is it so complicated?  In pseudocode, why wouldn't this work?:
        :0: some_lockfile  # use c flag if you want to keep a copy too
        * ^From:.*my_email_address
        {
          extract To: header
          use fgrep to see if it's already in the OK file
          if it's not in the OK file, append the extracted To:
        }
Or, if you're really lazy, as I am, just always append it, and once in a
while run the OK file through "sort -u".

Sure, you don't get a Bcc: header; instead, just check for mail from
yourself.

Of course, you can generalize it to cover multiple recipients, Cc's, etc.
I'd recommend stripping it down to the "naked" email address without the
name (as has been discussed here recently).

What am I missing?  (Other than they might reply from a different address,
but none of these schemes will cover that.)

Cheers,
Stan