Re: Another good one for your Procmail spam filter

1997-04-10 14:02:00
Robert Nicholson <steffi2(_at_)DGS(_dot_)dgsys(_dot_)com> writes:
What I'd like is a surefire way of differentiating a reply'd news article
_to_ me and SPAM.

I don't know about you, but I post from a dedicated usenet address,
<usenet-tag(_at_)qz(_dot_)little-neck(_dot_)ny(_dot_)us>.  (Just as
process(_at_)qz is a dedicated
promcail-list address.) This makes it very easy to filter usenet
replies seperately from everything else.

Sometimes/oftentimes you have this capibility to use seperate
addresses without paying for a seperate account or whatever. See
my start towards a FAQ on this:
        <URL:http://www.netusa.net/~eli/faqs/addressing.html>

My procmail recipe for the usenet-tag address is:

        # Add a D for case-sensitive
        :0:
        * ^TOusenet-tag(_at_)qz
        * !^Subject:(.Re:|(.*[[({ -]([wW]as|Re):))
        $HOME/notes/untagged

I find this works very well. Bcc'ed stuff can be a problem if
the envelope address does not get put into the headers. Filter
out your mailling lists, then send all of that to your
"untagged" equivilient file. Something like only 4% of the mail
in my untagged file is good. I have not yet gotten a spam to
usenet-tag which gets past that Subject: rule. YMMV.

Elijah
------
please do not CC me when replying to the list