Re: Procmail + rmail (Emacs)?

1997-04-22 02:10:00
On Mon, 21 Apr 1997 18:32:33 -0400,
"Gonzalo A. Diethelm" <gonzo(_at_)ing(_dot_)puc(_dot_)cl> wrote:
1. How do I make rmail see the mail folders created by procmail? Let's
   say I'm splitting mail into $HOME/Mail/IN.<folder name>; how do I
   make rmail fetch new mail from these folders instead of
   /var/spool/mail/$USER?

C-h f set-rmail-inbox-list -- you will want a separate RMAIL file for
each mailing list, for example, and set the inbox to the corresponding
IN.file in your mail directory.

2. Can I make rmail read the procmail folders and create a separate
   RMAIL file for each of them, possibly inside $HOME/Mail as well?

You create a new RMAIL file by typing `i' and telling RMAIL the name
of the file you want to create. If you name a file that doesn't exist,
it will be created, just as you'd expect. Remember to set the inbox
for this RMAIL file then.

3. If (1) and (2) are possible, how do I manage the multiple RMAIL
   files from rmail, other than remembering them and opening each of
   them separately? Perhaps rmail+procmail is not a good idea? In this
   case....

What's the problem? You might want a biff clone that can look at each
of the IN.files and tell you whether you have mail in any one of them.
If you have X, xbuffy is what I use. I also have a simple shell script
which counts From_ lines in my inboxes and reports any that are not
zero. Mail me for a copy if you're interested.

4. What other mail readers do exist for emacs? I did try gnus, but it
   seemed buggy to me, specially when respooling an existing RMAIL
   file. I think there's something called VM, but I don't know it.

There is a FAQ for Emacs and numerous web pages. I hear VM is pretty
good these days; you might want to visit the VM home page. Other than
that, I'd suggest you start up Info and read up on mail in Emacs. In
addition to the mail apps mentioned above, there's an Emacs interface
to mh which you might want to check out.
  As for the bugginess of Gnus, I'd be interested in knowing which
version you tried. I use 5.2.40 or thereabouts (aka 5.3.something) and
it's pretty robust. If you tried out one of the beta versions, don't
expect it to be flawless.

Please CC me if you answer, since I'm not subscribed to this
list. Thanks in advance.

You might search the list archive for recent discussions of this
topic. I've seen an in-depth discussion of locking problems between
Emacs and Procmail and how to avoid them, and a pretty good tutorial
on getting started with Gnus and Procmail.