Re: Auto reply during vacation

1997-05-10 12:30:00
Ahimanikya Satpathy asked,

|     * Is there any way to control the outgoing mails ? I am not sys admin.
|       so i can't do it using sendmail (i think).

A lot depends on how you're sending the outgoing messages.  If a program or a
script is sending them, it can explicitly call procmail to filter the outgo-
ing data (procmail's -m option is perfect for this).

If you're sending it from your own mail user agent, though, that depends:
some mailers (such as Mail, mailx, mh, and mutt) allow the user to specify
a program to handle outgoing mail, but others (such as Elm) do not.

|     * How can I able to send a auto respond during vacation to the sender
|       I mean what are the rules I should write in my .procmailrc file.
|       Also it should keep track of the persons so that if a person have
|       seen the vacation message he should not get the same message again.

See the sample code for that in the procmailex(5) manual page.