Re: FESTIVE CHEESE BALL !

1997-06-23 16:33:00

Actually, the irony here is that those of us who already had the foresight
to filter certain mailers (floodgate and extractor-pro being two well-known
ones that actually identify themselves in the X-Mailer header), didn't get
blasted by the original.  I had to look into my unread JUNKMAIL folder to
find the message in question.

*This* spam wasn't a problem message until everybody started griping about
the spam.  Rather than ranting about the spam to the group, perhaps we
should consider the possibility of having the list configured for
subscriber-only submission.

In the long haul, this is likely to provide the most relief from spam
addressed to the list, because it would require the spammer to actually go
through the subscription process (which in itself should end up requiring a
valid return address - something that it seems spammers aren't fond of
providing), a process which take a bit more effort than simply adding the
list address to their spam mailing file.

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395