Dealing with duplicate messages

1997-07-12 17:43:00
I would like a recipe that identifies duplicate messages and does
not trash them, but instead saves them to a different file. This
first attempt of mine does not seem to work:

# Deal with duplicates, as determined by Message-ID, but not if they
# have been looped through for multiple passes.
# :0 Wh: msgid.lock
* ! ^X-loop:.*qz.little-neck.ny.us
| formail -D 32768 msgid.cache
        # Put dupes in a dupe file
        :0e:
        duped-mail

(I want a very large cache because I get maybe 3500 messages a week
passing through this rc file and I want to cache at least a full week.)

All messages get put in the dupe file with that. This is not helpful.

Also has anyone written a program that works just like 'formail -D'
for arbitrary fingerprints extracted from text? I think I could get
good spam reduction with a fingerprint composed of From: and
Subject: headers plus number of lines and bytes in the body. It would
also cut down on the time I have to deal with people who click 'send'
twice or the equivilent.

Elijah
------
Please do not CC me when replying to the list.  It is not my responsibility to
prove to you my mail is not spam, if mail to you bounces it will not be resent.