Re: Procmail patch to avoid growing humungous log files with VERBOSE=on

1997-08-13 02:13:00
On Mon, 04 Aug 1997 15:00:35 -0400, Bradley Ward Allen <ulmo(_at_)Q(_dot_)Net>
wrote:
Apparently the bug I mention below is not important, since I had
.procmailrc misconfigured.  Everything works as expected, you
can install the patch as is (with a few #ifdef's surrounding it
would be good).
In message <199708041844(_dot_)OAA18681(_at_)Q(_dot_)Net>, Bradley Ward
Allen writes:
A few days ago, I turned procmail on on my home system, using Panix's
lovely junk mail filter ready-made rc files, and noticed my debug file
growing about 500KB with each email.  Turning verbosity off would be
bad in this situation since the likelyhood of a junk mail match making
it in that I need to debug is very high, what with the high number of
matches being done.  Finally, I noticed that verbosity logs the almost
entirely useless information "No match ..." which is about 99.9% of
the 500KB file; the only things I am interested in are the matches.

The posted patch appears to contain an error: the first hunk says it's
for procmail.h, when in reality, it would appear to be meant to be
applied to misc.c.
  The original patch, PGP soup and all, is available as
    <http://www.iki.fi/~era/patch.orig>
and my extracted and (hopefully) corrected version is
    <http://www.iki.fi/~era/patch>
I have not attempted to compile this, I only tested applying the patch
to the 3.11pre7 source.

Hope this helps,

/* era */

--