Re: Most efficient recipe

1997-09-03 17:16:56
Philip Guenther did a wonderful experiment to answer a question I'd long
been wondering about (thank you, Philip!):

:0:
* (\
    ^From:.*first_mailing_list|\
    ^Sender:.*second_mailing_list|\
    ^Resent-From:.*third_mailing_list\
   )
mailinglist_folder

is faster than:

:0:
* ? egrep -s -f $HOME/.procmail/file_of_mailinglist_regexps
mailinglist_folder

Am I right that the first recipe would be faster than the second?

Yes.

Philip timed both recipes for quite a large number of "lists", and the
internal procmail recipe was quite substantially faster.

But what I am surprised about is, with such a large number of items in
the first recipe, it didn't exceed the LINEBUF default (or maybe I'm
confused about what that variable is about).