Re: Most efficient recipe

1997-09-04 17:44:59
Philip Guenther <guenther(_at_)gac(_dot_)edu> wrote:
areray(_at_)io(_dot_)com (Rocket Ray) writes:
But what I am surprised about is, with such a large number of items in
the first recipe, it didn't exceed the LINEBUF default (or maybe I'm
confused about what that variable is about).

50 lines of ~40 characters is about 2000 characters.  The default value
of LINEBUF on most machines is 2048.

So if one had a really large list of spammer domains, netblocks, or
whatever, it might eventually exceed LINEBUF.  But I suppose that it
could be said in the FAQ:  "Using an internal procmail recipe is faster
than using an external grep or whatever, up to the point that LINEBUF is
exceeded."