Re: Most efficient recipe

1997-09-04 20:17:43
On Thu, 4 Sep 1997, Rocket Ray wrote:

Wotan <wotan(_at_)netcom(_dot_)com> wrote:
On Wed, 3 Sep 1997, Rocket Ray wrote:

But what I am surprised about is, with such a large number of items in
the first recipe, it didn't exceed the LINEBUF default (or maybe I'm
confused about what that variable is about).

You can reset the value of linebuff to whatever you want.  :)

LINEBUF=30000

should handle most things.

Well, I recall someone posting awhile back that if you increase the
value of LINEBUF, it slows down procmail, which would defeat the purpose
of using the internal recipe (if I understand correctly).

Probably do.  In my case I don't worry, since I filter out the known good
stuff before despamming.  :)

But, if your list got so big that niether method works efficently, Philip
posted a third alternative a while ago.  Have a script "auto-write" the
filters whenever you update the spam file.  Upon relfection, this is
probably the way to go these days with spam-domain lists running over 1000
lines.  Assuming you have space to spare.  I think my 30K list might bloat
to a 100k rc depending on how I wrote the thing.

--
What this country needs is a dime that will buy a good five-cent
bagel.