Re: handle outgoing mail?

1997-09-09 17:53:01
On Tue, 9 Sep 1997 you (dattier(_at_)wwa(_dot_)com (David W. Tamkin)) wrote:
So if you put procmail into the middle, just be careful of these:

1. Use procmail's -m option for outgoing mail so that the positional
parameters that your MUA would normally tell the MTA are passed to
procmail.

2. End your rcfile for outgoing mail with something like this so that
those positional parameters are told to the MTA:

   :0
! "$@"

I do 1) but not 2) (because I don't actually call sendmail directly from
my outgoing procmail script, but instead call Tim Luoma's very nice
StopThatMail for NeXTStep).  My outgoing procmail script collects the
addresses (ADDRESSES=`formail -x To: -x Cc:`) and then passes them on in
the closing stanza like this:

:0
|$HOME/stopthatmail -oi -odb "$ADDRESSES"

Effectively the same thing (I think), but it prevents that "$@"
parameter string getting lost in the crowd.

el bid