Re: Procmail & Netscape/Mozilla - warning

1997-10-08 11:05:06
Mike de Laine wrote:

For those using Netscape/mozilla to read mail files/folders directly
(rather than via IMAP)

Netscape/mozilla doesn't do any locking for file operations, so you can
loose messages if procmail is delivering some mail whilst Netscape is
performing some file/folder operations. (This is also a potential for
causing Mozilla to crash with a bus error. Netscape 4.0x seems much less
tolerant in this area than was V3.x).

Netscape's "answer" is to not use procmail and use the mail filtering
capability in Mozilla (which is rather limited in capability)...

One solution would be to retain the procmail processing and have Mozilla
read the folders via an IMAP server which would provide the locking. I
bypassed that option due to the volume of mail I have in each of the
folders.

FWIW:  I now use a combination of procmail and Mozilla to get the best of
both.

In .procmailrc I use the following to pass through the subaddressing
information into a rewritten To: header:

DESTINATION="`formail -x To: `"
SUBADDR = $1
SUBADDR_KEY=`echo $SUBADDR | cut -d'+' -f2`

:0fW
| formail  -I "To: $DESTINATION (autofile:$SUBADDR_KEY)"

and then use Filters in Mozilla to look for autofile:foldername patterns.
Not really in keeping with the standards, but it at least retains the
functionality.

    Mike.

--
 Mike de Laine        Technical Support, Innosoft International, Inc.

        "Each success only buys an admission ticket
        to a more difficult problem" - HAK