Re: Filtering out unwanted mime attachments

1997-10-14 11:02:56
On Sat, 11 Oct 1997, Mike de Laine wrote:

I'm tired of receiving the following from mailing lists:

1) HTML messages and HTML attachments.
        Maybe user ignorance here - suggest they only send text/plain to
the list. In Nutscrape, you can set it up so that it asks you whether to
send HTML, text/plain or both to somebody who isn't marked in your
addressbook as wanting to receive HTML. Don't know about IE and don't care
much seeing it comes from Redmond

I am also tired of *suggesting* this to users.  I get at least
10 - 100 HTML messages daily + various other attachments and I
don't feel it is my job to teach people how to use their email
software.  I like to offer help when I can, and possibly help a
newbie user out, but I just can't afford the time right now, and
would rather filter it than deal with it.

2) Cryptographic signatures
        Get used to it; you'll be seeing lots more fo this as receivers
want to verify that the sender really was Bugs Bunny rather than somebody
impersonating them.

Maybe so, but I don't *HAVE* to get used to it.  I can choose to
filter out instead.  That is why I asked the question on this
list.  For help filtering.  Thats like saying "Spam exists - just
get used to it."  - why should I?

3) 4k gif/jpg images of the author of the message
        Understandable, unless the message came from somebody you want to
look at, like Cindy Crawford. This is more a matter of netiquette and maybe
the newbie isn't aware of how impolite it is to do this...

If I want to look at Cindy Crawford, I'll surf the net looking
for her.  I don't need someone mailing me pictures.

4) WINMAIL.DAT files
        You'll get that from any MS-Mail system. With Exchange is
application/vnd-ms-tnef and it's only useful only those systems. There's
been some good recipes to ditch these. Try one of the FAQs or news archives
if you don't get a direct response from the list...

One of WHAT FAQ's WHERE?  I'd be more than glad to RTFM if only I
had the M to R.

Mike A. Harris        |  Homepage:  http://blackwidow.saultc.on.ca/~mharris
Computer Consultant   |  Am I online? -  finger or ping capslock.dyn.ml.org
My dynamic address: http://blackwidow.saultc.on.ca/~mharris/ip-address.html