Re: Filtering out unwanted mime attachments

1997-10-14 16:17:37
On 13 Oct 1997, Jari Aalto wrote:

| bandwidth wasting file attachments to mailing lists from users
| that use such software.

Carefull...Talking about bandwidth nowadays is asking for trouble and
produces a big counter threat in almost all usenet groups (especially if
somebody attacks against MIME cruft). The truth is that
the bandwith is no more the trouble, fiber cables are constantly
added between servers and core links in the nations.

Perhaps so, but tell that to a mailing list administrator that
says "no way" to such attachments.  Regardless of how things go,
I dislike receiving such postings from people and want to filter
them out.  For the most part it is newbie mail postings that have
their mail agent set up with default settings, and just don't
know that all that stuff is attached.  This is the case with
Netscape and HTML anyways.  Regardless of standards, and whatnot,
I don't want HTML messages, and want to filter them out period.
*FOR NOW*.  It is too much hassle for me, and I'm not switching
from PINE to some other mailer just to read HTML messages that I
don't want to read in the first place.

| I'm tired of receiving the following from mailing lists:

That's basicly the MUA problem. Your MUA should be something that can
handle the displaying for you. Put pressure on your MUA developer,
because we're heading forward and we don't stay forever on the old
ascii days.

I don't *WANT* my MUA to display HTML either.  I want to FILTER
OUT HTML.  Otherwise, I'd set up lynx as a mime filter for PINE.
I don't LIKE getting HTML mail, and want to forward all of it
into /dev/null.  Assume that I'm using Communicator 4 instead of
PINE - my thinking is still the same.

| 2) Cryptographic signatures
PGP is crucial and desired and every MUA should support it.
People should learn using PGP instead of saying "hey, I'm not interested
the privacy of my mail". I do understand your reason though, that's
why I have been taking part to developing the X-Pgp-signed proposed standard.

See This message, which is X-pgp signed as well as

PGP is fine.  I don't mind PGP signatures.  It's been around for
a while and is only a hundred or a couple hundred bytes.  No big
deal.  However, I've been getting OTHER cryptographic signature
types which I've never heard of, which are 3.5k, 5k, 7k, etc.. in
size, as well as graphic images, etc... Right now, I'm on a 14k
modem, and soon to be a 33.6k.  If I were on a 512k cable modem,
it wouldn't bother me much, but it does now.  I was merely asking
for HOW to filter this stuff.  I don't much care about the
reasons.

Other's have already given you procmail receipes. I just wanted to
express that the this issue is not so black or white.

Well, I agree with you insofar as that new technologies are
coming, and such things will become standard practice.  However,
I still have the CHOICE to NOT want to receive the stuff, and
want to willingly LIMIT the messages that I receive, and FILTER
them..  Unfortunately, I'm not a procmail guru.... yet.  ;o)

Thanks for your offerings nonetheless, and take care.
TTYL

Mike A. Harris        |  Homepage:  http://blackwidow.saultc.on.ca/~mharris
Computer Consultant   |  Am I online? -  finger or ping capslock.dyn.ml.org
My dynamic address: http://blackwidow.saultc.on.ca/~mharris/ip-address.html