Re: where is rfc that defines signature separator "-- \n"?

1997-10-16 13:40:47
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 11:51:13 -0400
From: "Harley A. Stenzel" <hstenzel(_at_)mindspring(_dot_)com>
Subject: Re: where is rfc that defines signature separator "-- \n"?

jari(_dot_)aalto(_at_)poboxes(_dot_)com wrote:

        Hi,

        This is not directly procmail question, but I'm trying to
        locate the rfc that mentions that the sig. sep. should be
        "-- \n". I visited

I thought that sigs were separated by a "^--".

        jari

--Harley

Expressed as a string literal, the answer is "\n-- \n".  Note the space
after the second hyphen.  If you are matching a line against a regular
expression to look for such a separator, the pattern could be /^-- $/.

I don't know of an RFC which formalizes this convention, but I don't
know there isn't one either.  There is an Elm option which supports it,
and it is also supported by some other user agents.  You can refer to
the Elm option "sigdashes" in the Elm Reference Guide.  See also my
signature below.

--
As far as we know, our computer has never had an undetected error.  -- Weisert