Re: where is rfc that defines signature separator "-- \n"?

1997-10-16 18:08:06
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 17:34:49 -0400
From: Michael Stone <mstone(_at_)itri(_dot_)loyola(_dot_)edu>
Subject: Re: where is rfc that defines signature separator "-- \n"?

I agree that the convention is "-- ", and I also believe that there is
no RFC. That's why I don't agree with people who try to enforce sig
dashes: if we can't even get people to conform to RFC's, there's no way
anyone can enforce a "convention."

I believe it is more than a convention; it's fair to call it a de facto
standard embodied by various UNIX based tools such as C News, rn, and
elm.  There's no use asking people to use it whose software isn't
written to be compatible.  However there's nothing wrong in writing a
recipe which recognizes it either.

--
As far as we know, our computer has never had an undetected error.  -- Weisert