Re: where is rfc that defines signature separator "-- \n"?

1997-10-16 14:45:58
Quoting jari(_dot_)aalto(_at_)poboxes(_dot_)com
(jari(_dot_)aalto(_at_)poboxes(_dot_)com):
| I thought that sigs were separated by a "^--".

Nope. That is reserved for Message Digests, RFC 1153 and Normal
email messages with signatures must not use same as Message Digests.
But I can't find the place where it is "officially said".
Era mailed me back and said that, actually there is no such RFC,
and that the conventions is just

        "Born in the net and agreed on"

Could someone confirm to the way or the other? I know that in Emacs
groups there was thread on this, but no-one made clear if there was standard
or not. They all agreed that the convention was "-- \n" though :-)

I agree that the convention is "-- ", and I also believe that there is
no RFC. That's why I don't agree with people who try to enforce sig
dashes: if we can't even get people to conform to RFC's, there's no way
anyone can enforce a "convention."

--
Michael Stone, Sysadmin, ITRI     PGP: key 1024/76556F95 from mit keyserver,
mstone(_at_)itri(_dot_)loyola(_dot_)edu            finger, or email with