Re: Please write a procmail book

1997-10-17 09:00:35
On Thu, 16 Oct 1997, era eriksson wrote:
I don't think that's a problem. The problem is getting someone to
write it, and someone to publish it.

I remember Nancy asked about this some time back -- she proposed a
collaboration and asked interested people to contact her. Does anybody
have any news on that?

Hello, here are my latest thoughts on a procmail book.  I
definitely think a procmail book would sell enough copies to
make it worth the author's Time and effort.  As some of you
know, I worked at O'Reilly for a while last year and while I
was there they were willing to publish a procmail book if I
wrote one.  When I decided that I wanted to be my own boss
again they said they were still interested in me writing a
procmail book.  Since I left O'Reilly, I've moved to NYC
(which I love BTW) and I've been kind of a tortured soul
trying to figure out what I want to do.  I've been putting
some energy into math (my oldest love) and philosophy of
math and science (newer loves) and wondering if I'm ever
going to write a procmail book, or even update my Filtering
Mail FAQ (!).  I go through phases of thinking "yes, I'm
going to do it" and then I do something like put an outline
on the web, e.g.:

  http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/user_guide/

My latest thought about me writing a procmail book is that
if I do it, I'm going to self publish it.  Since it's a book
that net-knowledgeable people will buy, it makes sense to
just market it on my web pages and make it available through
all the online bookstores, e.g., Amazon.com.  If regular
bookstores want to carry it, great.  I met someone here in
NY who told me about companies that will handle distribution,
etc.

I'm open to people contributing chapters and making it a
collaborative effort.  I'm still not 100% sure that I want
to do it though.  What are other people's thoughts.  Is
anyone else writing, or thinking about writing, a procmail
book?

  -Nancy

--