RE: It's the dish, not the culture.

1997-10-28 16:09:40
On Sunday, October 26, 1997 14:48, David W. Tamkin
[SMTP:dattier(_at_)wwa(_dot_)com] wrote:
This recent go-round began when Walter Dnes expressed upset at
getting two copies of a reply to an article he had posted.  I
get the impression that he might be accustomed to lists that
clobber the return address, and he had never before seen the
double copy that is common on lists that do not, so he didn't
know what to make of it.
  That summarizes the situation.  I've been on several lists
over the past few years, and this is the first time I've
encountered a list where getting duplicate replies is the
norm.  I'm currently on two other lists.  One overwrites the
expect to see only one reply to their messages.

When every post's return address is clobbered with
that of the list, virtually all replies (no matter
how personal or off-topic) will go to the list...

  [...deletia...]

When a list does not clobber the return address, most
posters will not set Reply-To:.  (A few will, and when
it is pointed to the list, responses to such posts will
be public-only, but here it is what the poster wants,
not what the list maintainer imposes.)

  How about if I stray back onto topic and ask a procmail-
related question here?  I.e. how do I modify the header of
incoming mail from this list to include...
"To:" line and the absence of the appropriate "Reply-To:"
(In order to avoid infinite looping).

0h:
* ^(To|Cc|Bcc):(_dot_)*procmail(_at_)Informatik(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE
* !^Reply-To:(_dot_)*procmail(_at_)Informatik(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE
{

Now what do I do ???

}

  I'm on 3 lists, using the same email account.  Is it
possible with a POPmail client to get sendmail (or
whatever) to filter *OUTGOING* mail; check for the
destination; and modify the "Reply-To:" differently
for each list.  A wishlist item while I'm at it; can
I similarly append a different signature for one
specific list, where a person's city of residence is
pertinent info to the discussion.

 Walter Dnes
 <waltdnes(_at_)interlog(_dot_)com>