Re: Mailing list problem

1997-11-10 19:00:53
On Mon, 10 Nov 1997, era eriksson wrote:

On Sun, 9 Nov 1997 23:29:47 -0700 (MST),
William McClatchie <wmcclatc(_at_)primenet(_dot_)com> wrote:

 >> The best way is to filter mailing lists first, and then send all
 >> others to a different mailbox which you check occasionally.
 >> See what ends up in there.
 > Not a solution. :( Aside from being subbed to *MANY* lists, many of
 > them do not require conformation. Just a few hundred messages
 > before I got the filters written for her. Fortunately, procmail can
 > filter whats in the inbox. :)

How does that matter at all? Just put them in /tmp instead of
somewhere important. It is +never+ a good idea to blindly throw away
stuff, and especially when you're in the middle of a mailstorm, there
can be unexpected messages you +really+ don't want to miss.

True.  However, she is willing to risk this since in a 48 hour period this
idiocy generated close to 1M of unwanted email. Definately unnacceptable
and extremely hard to go through to find random good things. And since
her ISP charges for exceeding the quota - storing it until free isn't an
option.

However, another option has occurred to me.  Exclude the addresses f
interest that might qualiy asunder From_Daemon.  Aside from root,
postmaster, abuse, and Mailer_Daemon; are there any addresses that will
not match in a properly formatted list?

 > Formerly wotan(_at_)netcom

Whoa. More and more reason to assume all mail from Netcom is spam.

ROTFLMAO!!!

Formerly wotan(_at_)netcom
--
Vital papers will demonstrate their vitality by spontaneously moving
from where you left them to where you can't find them.