Re: Saving sender name

1997-12-04 03:44:28
Wed 97-12-03 Bishop & Bebe <beck(_at_)tiac(_dot_)net> list.procmail
| What I want to do is take the senders name from an incoming email and add
| it to an existing list.

That's nearly impossible. There is no reliable way to extract person's
name from the From: header.

just forget it, unless you are catching From headers that always have
the Person name in the same format (Your work fellow's addresses...?)

| Trouble is I have found nothing that has given me any idea where to start
| with this.  I need to make a pretty generic recipie that can take no
| matter what kind of mail I recieve.  Meaning I have no idea if the
| incoming mail will have From:, X-Sender:, or what.
| But I want to be able to know who is requseting certain files.
| Can anyone help??

The only thing you can get is the email address. I just wrote recipe
for extracting the email part from an arbitrary string. See X-header how
to get the procmail modules. Here we use the From field, but you can use
any other field.

jari

:0
* From:\/.*
{
    INPUT       = $MATCH
    INCLUDERC   = $PMSRC/pm-jaaddr.rc
    email       = $OUTPUT   # The subroutine above set it.