Re: How to NOT filter a message

1998-01-04 10:43:16
John Spence asked,

| I have mail for various mailing-lists being filtered correctly using
| entries like:
|
| :0:
| * ^TOdebian-user
| Debian-user-list
|
| However when I recieve an answer to a message that I have posted to a
| list, the answer also gets filtered into the appropriate list.
| I would like to have all mail addressed to me put in my default INBOUND
| mail file e.g. /var/spool/mail/jspence  even if it came from a list.

I feel the same way; when someone answers a post of mine by writing to me
and carboning the list, I like to get the direct copy in $DEFAULT and the
list-distributed copy in my folder for the list.  (There are others here who
feel very differently, considering the two copies to be an annoyance or even
an insult.)

The easiest way is to file mail in the folder for the list by testing whether
it came *via* the list instead of testing whether it was sent *to* the list.
Look at the headers of items from that list and find something that was added
by the list software, such as an X-Mailing-List: header, or Resent-Sender: or
Sender:, or even the Unix From_ line at the top ... something that shows it
went through the list software.  Then the copy that was sent directly to you
won't match that condition and it will go to $DEFAULT.

For example, I'm sending this letter to the Procmail List and to John.  A
condition of

* ^TOprocmail

in John's rcfile will catch both copies, but a condition like

will catch only the copy that came through the list and not the directly
mailed copy, which can then go to $DEFAULT.

| Does mail I fetch with fetchmail get placed in my /var/spool/mail/jspence
| file and then procmail processes it or does procmail simple place mail in
| the spool/mail file that doesn't match any of the filtering rules?

I have no experience with fetchmail, but if procmail gets to the end of the
rcfile without final delivery of an item, it tries to deliver it to $DEFAULT;
if that fails and $ORGMAIL is different from $DEFAULT, it tries to deliver it
to $ORGMAIL.