Re: procmail stops filtering on vacation

1998-01-06 15:27:55
Bill Durant asked,

| Does anyone know if procmail shuts off when one turns on
| the vacation message on a mailer?  I set up procmail to
| automatically stuff mails on particular mailboxes; however,
| as soon as I turned on vacation on my mailer, procmail stopped
| filtering mail.  Is there any way to tell procmail to keep
| filtering even when vacation is ON?

That depends on how you are invoking the two programs.  What *EXACTLY*
changed when you "turned on vacation on [your] mailer"?  Did that modify
.forward?  Did that change a "Forward to" or "Pipe to" instruction at the
top of your mail spool?

If you are using a .forward and naming either vacation or procmail there,
then you'll have only one named there at a time.  (You could name both in
.forward, but then each would process a separate copy of every incoming
letter.)

The best way to handle this is usually to invoke procmail there; then, in
your .procmailrc, take care of any mail you want kept away from the vacation
program (such as bounce warnings, mail from list subscriptions, and spam).
After that procmail can turn over the rest of your mail -- or selected
messages that vacation *should* process -- to vacation, or you can adapt the
vacation-simulating recipes in the procmailex(5) man page to the specifics
of your situation.