Re: Munpack, etc

1998-01-12 05:51:43
On Thu, Jan 08, 1998 at 05:20:47PM +0200, era eriksson wrote:
On Thu, 8 Jan 1998 09:06:44 -0500, Vikas Agnihotri <VikasA(_at_)att(_dot_)com>
wrote:
 > On Wed, Jan 07, 1998 at 11:45:47PM +0200, era eriksson wrote:
 >> Get a real MIME decoder and let it do the work for you. See the
 >> comp.mail.mime FAQ for pointers (you want part 6, if memory
 >> serves)
<...>
 >> look at munpack and friends instead of the Perl implementations.
 > I just did. Downloaded munpack. From the man page:
<...>
 > As I understand it, it will spit out the various MIME parts into files.

Sorry, you are correct. Blame my leaking memory. Problem is, I know
I've seen a program which does this, but now I couldn't find it in the
MIME FAQ. Can anybody come up with good pointers? If not, I guess
you'll have to look at the Perl modules after all and code up a nice
decoder. (Hint: I'd love to include a link to it from the Procmail
Links page at <http://www.iki.fi/~era/procmail/links.html>)

On Mon, Jan 12, 1998 at 11:17:57AM +0200,
jari(_dot_)aalto(_at_)poboxes(_dot_)com wrote:
Thu 98-01-08 Vikas Agnihotri <VikasA(_at_)att(_dot_)com> list.procmail
| On Wed, Jan 07, 1998 at 11:45:47PM +0200, era eriksson wrote:
|
| Specifically, I would appreciate help on using munpack with procmail to
| delete unwanted attachments.

If that is all you want to do, I have a general MIME attachement killer
module, that does just this. See the pm-code.shar (avaiable from X-header)
and module pm-jamime-kill.rc.

Works fine for MS Explorer, MS Express, Netscape, Lotus notes
attachements and for any other you may receive.

I agree, Jari, If you recall, I was in touch with you a littlw while back
and you modified your PM code to include my Lotus notes attachment killing.
It is working fine and I can see how it is extensible to handle any type of
attachments. Thanks.

The reason for my asking was that Era seemed to hint that these awk/sed
methods of killing attachments (like yours is) are not 100% bulletproof and
in some cases might mangle some MIME attachments.

Frankly, MIME is a pretty simple format and I would want Era to explain
exactly in which cases Jari's pm-jamimekill.rc might not produce expected
results.

The only thing I can think of is that the boundary string might exist in
the actual attachment and mess up things, but then even the Perl module or
compiled C program is not immune to that, right?

Comments?

Thanks,
Vikas