Re: UCE via Procmail List???

1998-03-23 07:39:26
On Mon, 23 Mar 1998, Timothy J Luoma wrote:

      Author:        Bill McClatchie <wmcclatc(_at_)primenet(_dot_)com>

Does anyone read a mailing list before for a few days before sending mail
to it, or am I the only one who remembers that guideline?

Actually Tim, I don't recall this issue coming up in the past couple of
weeks.  Then again, maybe my anti-spam filters caught the spam-complaints
as well.

It came up fairly recently, perhaps the same day.

Tim,

There are three perception problems here:

1)  That newcomers to the list are automatically aware that the Procmail
list is subject to spam.

2)  That they need to filter it since nobody else is going to.

3) That everyone on the list gets the same messages at the same time.

Unless the welcome message has changed, newcomers to the list are in for a
shock.  Particularly since spam to mailing lists is not that common.

And as far as #3 goes, I got the first complaint of spam, your responce,
and Ty's complaint of spam within 10 minutes of each other according to
the Received headers.  Assuiming Ty's incoming messages from the list is
similarly delayed, he may not have seen a responce (or the first
complaint) until after his complaint was made.

--
When you make your mark in the world, watch out for guys with erasers.
                -- The Wall Street Journal