Re: Just received

1998-04-26 16:06:26
Liviu Daia wrote,

|     Ok, quick related question.  I'm using the naive approach of
| declaring spam all messages that are not specifically addressed to me

[with certain exceptions listed in Dr. Daia's post].

|     Now, I do realize that messages Bcc:-ed to me that don't come from
| well known sources are treated as spam too, but I don't receive that
| many messages of this type, so I'm willing to live with this danger. :-)
| My question is: are there any other problems or pitfalls with this
| approach?

I do the same thing ... well, not declaring them spam, but separating them,
and I've done it since long before spam became a problem.

As long as you shunt them somewhere instead of deleting them unseen and you
scan that place every so often to check for non-spam (and to delete the items
that really are spam), there's no problem.

Every time you join a mailing list, of course, the first couple distributions
from that list will go there until you install a recipe for that list, but
until you get some mail through that list you really can't write the recipe
for it properly, so that's inevitable.

I almost never receive legitimate blind carbons other than mailing list sub-
scriptions.  My folder for blind carbons catches two lists I never wrote
recipes for (one I keep considering unsubbing, and the other sends one mess-
age a week) and everything else that goes into it is spam.