Re: Definition of "folder"

1998-09-28 10:22:30
At 13:41 28-09-98 +0300, era eriksson wrote:

I figured the FAQ (and eventually, even the documentation) could
benefit from an explanation of what exactly a "folder" is. I remember

Folder: (fold"er) n.  Unlike in the PC and Mac environment where a folder
is synonymous with a directory, in unix a folder is a file which contains a
number of items, delineated by some logical record structure.  In the case
of mail where they are used most, records are often delineated by a mail
header such as 'From'.

like some kind of more or less scientific method for finding out what
format a mail folder is in.

Certainly an appendix listing the various formats would be a good thing,
but for general use, why not write a program to do this?  Either C, Perl,
or a shell script.  That is of course, if the programmatical method is
clearly defined.  If it requires too much fuzzy logic or "judgement call"
conditions, this could be rough.

(Somewhere in the FAQ, I would like to
have instructions for figuring out your MX host(s), too.)

I don't have the time to go into it right now, but the solution to
determining the MX hosts would be to use nslookup -- provided inquiries are
not blocked.  Alternatley one should be able to write a program to look up
the MX host information -- after all, sendmail does it...

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395