Re: Definition of "folder"

1998-09-28 13:27:39
Era Eriksson typed,

| I figured the FAQ (and eventually, even the documentation) could
| benefit from an explanation of what exactly a "folder" is. I remember
| grappling over this myself when I was new to Procmail, and as I
| recall, there have been a couple of questions about this on the list
| as well.
|
| I wrote up a short definition for the FAQ, but I'm kind of unhappy
| with it. So I'd like to ask for help on this one.
|
| <contest>
|   <task>
|     Write a good definition for "folder" in 50 words or less.
|   <prize>
|     Wonderful prizes. I'll include your name in the FAQ, at least.
|   <timetable>
|     Soon. Thanks.
| </contest>

A mail folder is a place to put messages that the user chooses to store
together, separately from other messages.  Examples include an mbox, a
directory, or a qmail-style maildir.

There, thirty words, thirty-one if you count the hyphenate as two.

For Era's other question, I defer to Sean Straw's reply already posted.