Re: Definition of "folder"

1998-09-29 08:18:53
On 29 September 1998, Jari Aalto+list.procmail
<jari(_dot_)aalto(_at_)poboxes(_dot_)com>
wrote:
|Tue 1998-09-29 Liviu Daia <daia(_at_)stoilow(_dot_)imar(_dot_)ro>
list.procmail

| MIME-compliant don't have much use for it.  Moreover, it should only
| be added by the final MTA, or by the recipient's MUA.  The reason
| is some gateways out there love to get messy, and do things like
| removing trailing blanks and compressing or expanding tabs.  So the
| may confuse the MIME-_aware_ MUAs that (naively :-)) use it as a
| hint for parsing mbox mailboxes into messages.

After I saw Jamie Zawinsky's Content-Lenth header discussion in
1996-05-17 comp.mail.headers (included in pm-tips.txt), I agreed
with him that it was utterly useless and too error prone. E.g. SUN's
mailtool uses C-L and it breaks if C-L is wrong.

    Yes.  Fortunately, it can be fixed with procmail:

        :0 Bfh
        * $ H   ?? ^Content-Length:
        *   1^1 .
        *  -1^0
        | formail -I "Content-Length: $="

    Regards,

    Liviu

--
Dr. Liviu Daia                   e-mail:   daia(_at_)stoilow(_dot_)imar(_dot_)ro
Institute of Mathematics         web page: http://www.imar.ro/~daia