Re: Running provate mailing list (ph)

1998-10-28 14:00:27
    I checked Joe Gross's http://www.procmail.net/tutorial/list.html
    and found interesting reference to `ph' program. What is
    it/where can it be found/how to use it? Joe's instruction below.

    What is nickname in Unix? I've never heard of that before.

ph is a pretty University-centric application.  It was started (I think)
at U of I back in the early '90s by Steven Dorner, then taken over by
Paul Pomes in later years.  It has since spread to about 300 other sites
around the world.

   http://www.uiuc.edu/cgi-bin/ph

is the U of I ph Web interface (with some info and links).

Here's a blurb from the man page:

   The CCSO Nameserver could be considered a database containing in-
   formation  about  people  and  things  at the University of Illi-
   nois.  It is designed to be extremely flexible in  what  informa-
   tion  it  keeps, and also to provide fast access to that informa-
   tion.  Currently, most of the information in it  comes  from  the
   University Student/Staff Directory (the phone book).

Chris