Re: Stephen van den Berg

1998-10-28 14:07:16
From joge(_at_)stud(_dot_)ntnu(_dot_)no Wed Oct 28 13:22:48 1998
How about if we continue without him? I have registered at least 4 patches
that should be in the next release of procmail and a dozen more that could
be included. Instead of everyone applying the patches themselves there
ought to be a procmail ver 3.11pre8.

Actually, by this point, I would consider the patched 3.11 to be a full
relase, and work should behind on 3.12.

Agree. 3.11pre7 should simply be renamed 3.11 and be released. Then we
should start right away with 3.12pre1.

Does he have any special copyright on procmail or can we elect someone to
take over and maintain the distribution?

Unless he ha specifically assigned it to the public domain, via something
like the GNU or BSD license, or to a not-for profit, like your
www.procmail.org idea, then he has rights to the program.

The README file basically says this:

You are allowed to take parts from this distribution and distribute these
separately as long as you retain the copyright messages.  If you
redistribute any part of this package in a modified form, be sure to mark
the parts you changed.  If you have some important changes that might be
useful to the rest of the world, contact me instead.

As I see it we can make and distribute a modified version as long as we
retain the copyright messages and document the changes we have done from
3.11pre7.

--
Geir Johannessen          #  joge(_at_)stud(_dot_)ntnu(_dot_)no
E B Schieldropsvei 35-25  #  http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~joge/