Re: Stephen van den Berg

1998-10-28 22:17:02
I think I flubbed my first try at this. Apologies if you get it twice.

On Wed, Oct 28, 1998 at 06:29:07PM +0100, Geir Johannessen wrote:
How about if we continue without him? I have registered at least 4 patches
that should be in the next release of procmail and a dozen more that could
be included. Instead of everyone applying the patches themselves there
ought to be a procmail ver 3.11pre8.

If those patches are bug fixes then they should go into pre8, if they're
features it should wait for 3.12.

Does he have any special copyright on procmail or can we elect someone to
take over and maintain the distribution?

from the README:

  You are encouraged to distribute this package freely.  This package or any
  part thereof or any work derived from it, is however not to be sold (minor
  transfer costs excepted) or included in any commercially sold software
  package (if you want to do this anyway, contact me (address below), and
  we'll work something out).

  If you distribute it, please leave the package intact.  You are allowed to
  take parts from this distribution and distribute these separately as long as
  you retain the copyright messages.  If you redistribute any part of this
  package in a modified form, be sure to mark the parts you changed.  If you
  have some important changes that might be useful to the rest of the world,
  contact me instead.

So if no one can get a hold of Stephen we're fairly safe continuing in the
effort as long as we don't charge for it.

A website bearing the name www.procmail.org would also be nice...

I don't have an unlimited amount of time available to devote but I have
procmail.net would be willing to host something there. There isn't much
there yet but I'd like to have some sort of comprehensive procmail site.

This might would be as simple as integrating and building onto Era's
excellent FAQ pages. Era, I'm not sure what direction you're taking with
your FAQ but I would love to contribute to it, as I'm sure would lots of
others.

I would, of course, welcome help in this project.

Perhaps Stephen would be willing to put his program into the public domain
and allow those on the procmail list to continue working on it.

A procmail-dev mailing list could be created for those working on the next
generations of procmail.

I'm not a great coder but I would be willing to help organize such an
effort.

Ideas?