Running provate mailing list (ph)

1998-10-28 09:32:03

    I checked Joe Gross's http://www.procmail.net/tutorial/list.html
    and found interesting reference to `ph' program. What is
    it/where can it be found/how to use it? Joe's instruction below.

    What is nickname in Unix? I've never heard of that before.

    jari

Running your own mailing lists

Using ph to run your own list.
     Using procmail and a feature of ph you can set up your own mailing list
without neededing root on your own machine.

     Many people don't realize that if you have a unique entry in your
nickname: field you can send mail to that entry(_at_)uiuc(_dot_)edu(_dot_)
     For example:

     ni[5]:ph joe gross return nickname
      nickname: cs281-list

     Provided I'm the only entry with "cs281-list" in the nickname and there's
no one with "cs281-list" as their alias or callsign I
     can actually mail to cs281-list(_at_)uiuc(_dot_)edu and it'll go to me.