Re: Errors in .maillog

1999-02-09 10:41:11
On Tue, 9 Feb 1999 10:32:12 -0600 (CST), Mark Shaw
<mshaw(_at_)dal(_dot_)asp(_dot_)ti(_dot_)com> wrote:
sh: syntax error at line 1: `|' unexpected
How would I go about beginning to debug this?  I use quite a lot of
spambusting recipes, a number of normal mailfiling recipes and a
couple that forward messages to a pager.  I'd have included my
.procmailrc but it's kind of long.  :)  So I guess I'm just looking
for some general pointers rather than a concise solution.

Run with VERBOSE logging for a while and the problem should become
apparent.

You might want to try the various proclint programs around (there's
one in Alan Stebbens' library, and Jari Aalto has one which you can
even email your .procmailrc to and get results back by mail ... See
<http://www.iki.fi/~era/procmail/links.html> for pointers) but in my
experience, they're not very advanced.

Wishlist for a coming version of Procmail: Wouldn't it be nice if the
syntax error message could be prefixed with the file name and line
number where it's occurring? (This is probably kind of hard for errors
from external programs, no?)

/* era */

--
.obBotBait: It shouldn't even matter whether    <http://www.iki.fi/~era/>