Re: Doing stuff according to the time?

1999-05-25 13:44:05

You misunderstood Era's suggestion, Steve.  What you pointed out would be
an advantage of running the date(1) program over using the Date: header
(besides, a lot of people's Date: headers aren't right for their own time
zones either), but Era wasn't saying to the Date: header.  The From_ line
or the topmost Received: line are added by the receiving machine in its own
time zone, and Era was recommending that you use the From_ line.

You can also tell your mail server to use the timezone of your choice in
timestamping incoming messages if you are starting procmail from a .forward
file. This is useful if you don't want to know where the server is, or if the
server moves around a lot, or if you move around a lot, or some combination of
these. I use the following .forward, which results in an E[SD]T timestamp in
the From_ header of messages even though my server is P[SD]T:

  "|IFS=' '; TZ=EST5EDT; export TZ && exec /usr/local/nuglops/bin/procmail -tf-
MODE=prod || exit 75 #rik"

--
Rik Kabel          Old enough to be an adult
rik(_at_)netcom(_dot_)com