Simple questions to start

1999-05-27 13:33:32

We are running Pine with 16,000 Faculty, Staff and Students on 2 Sun
machines with Solaris 7 using csh. We have decided to go with Procmail to
filter mail, spam, etc. I'm trying to write some simple documentation to
send out to our users that want to filter their mail.(I can just see them
now..fooling around with Procmail and losing all of their mail) I'm not a
techie by any means. I have been reading and reading and .... and I have
found some contradictions between documentations, if you could please
clear this up for me. (Please bare with me, I will have lots of questions)
I have tested some recipes and they work quite nicely.

1. ^TO - This will match "To:","Cc:", "Bcc" (This one doesn't make
         sense.Bcc)

Is the above statement completely true?

2. ^FROM (as apposed to ^From:) - Checks "From:", "Resent-by" and similar
    header lines. True or False.

3.   # This will match on mail from  joe@ any machine and toss it into
     # /dev/null
     :0
     * ^From:.* joe(_at_)(_dot_)*
     /dev/null

Do you really need the ".*" at the end of joe(_at_)(_dot_) One documentation
did the
recipe like this and another documentation said the ".*" at the end was
redundant. Would someone please also explain to me exactly what this
recipe will match on and what it will not?

Thanks
Jessie

Jessie Kleefstra                  E-Mail:
kleefstr(_at_)offsv1(_dot_)cis(_dot_)mcmaster(_dot_)ca
Consultant, Helpdesk Services             helpline(_at_)mcmaster(_dot_)ca
Computing & Information Services   Phone: (905) 525-9140  ext.  24357
ABB-132
McMaster University                  Fax: (905) 528-3773