Re: RH 6.0 out of box?

1999-07-09 08:04:55
Clark Evans <clark(_dot_)evans(_at_)manhattanproject(_dot_)com> writes:
1. I think it was permissions, you cannot
have write access on your home directory,
nor can you (stupid me) have execute
access on the .procmailrc file.

Procmail does not care whether your .procmailrc has execute
permissions.  It only cares who owns it, whether it is writable by
anyone else (group or other), and whether _it_ can read it.  If the
GROUP_PER_USER compile time define was set (I think the latest binary
RPMs do so) then the group _ownership_ is considered when deciding
whether anyone else can write to the file.  Otherwise, nothing else
about the rcfile itself matters to procmail.  In particular, procmail
doesn't care whether the file is executable, is readable by anyone
else, has links to it, has the 'sticky-bit' set, etc.

Indeed, you can start an rcfile with the line

        #!/path/to/procmail -m

give it execute permissions, and 'run' it with an email message on stdin.
The kernel will then execute

        /path/to/procmail -m /path/to/rcfile any-other-arguments-here...

Philip Guenther