Re: filter number(_at_)foobar(_dot_)com

1999-08-06 02:05:40
On Fri, 6 Aug 1999 08:03:30 +0300, Liviu Daia
<Liviu(_dot_)Daia(_at_)imar(_dot_)ro>
wrote:
On 5 August 1999, Christophe Zwecker <doc(_at_)zwecker(_dot_)de> wrote:
Now what I need aswell is all incoming mail stripped off the
attachments. I looked at the module from Jaari, but I understood it
this way that it doesnt catch all ? Correct me if Im wrong.
    Please note that what you'd consider to be the "main body" in a
multipart message is itself an attachment. If you want to remove
"all attachments" you'll need to state criteria to distinguish
between the main body and the rest. IIRC that's what Jaari's module
is supposed to do.

I believe Jari's MIME killer can be set up to kill anything except
text/plain <http://www.procmail.org/jari/pm-code-body.html#137> (for
instance) although I haven't experimented. (Hint: Match each body part
with an unrecognized type, and pass that in as JA_MIME_TYPE; repeat as
necessary.)

However, all of this sounds awfully expensive.

FYI: I need this for a cruising ship. Each guest gets a numer when
getting on board, for that the number thingy. Since the email
comes in thru a rather expensive satelite link, they need all
attachments to be stripped.
been uploaded to your machine.  A much better way around this is to
configure your MTA to drop messages over a certain size, this way the

Or otherwise do it from the MTA. Here are some stray thoughts,
although noting very disciplined:

  * If you can, create a virtual domain for all these users, then pass
    everything for this domain through its own mailer (this is
    Sendmail specific, obviously. Disclaimer: I'm a complete
    dilettante when it comes to Sendmail.)

  * Have a look at emil. This is an old monstrosity which isn't
    altoghether pleasant to deal with, but I think it will do what you
    want. It's heavy, but probably less heavy than Procmail plus the
    overhead of the inevitable external filtering.

  * The MIME FAQ appears to have disappeared from the face of the
    earth, but I have set up a mirror of what used to exist. There are
    some pointers to tools in Part 6 (although a lot of it is probably
    out of date now). Have you looked at munpack and/or the Perl MIME
    modules? <http://www.iki.fi/era/procmail/links.html#faqs>, look
    for "MIME FAQs"

  * What happens if the attachments turn out to contain valuable stuff
    after all? Do you save a copy back at the headquarters or
    something?

On second thought [sic], not sure if this is anything worth. Still,
hope it can stimulate you to find the Right Answer,

/* era */

--
 Too much to say to fit into this .signature anyway: <http://www.iki.fi/era/>
  Fight spam in Europe: <http://www.euro.cauce.org/> * Sign the EU petition