Re: Procmail Quick Start pointer (& some questions)

1999-09-13 20:01:06
"era" == era eriksson <era(_at_)iki(_dot_)fi> writes:

era> FWIW, I believe many of the Emacs mail readers will use your home
era> directory by default, although they are of course typically
era> eminently configurable. RMAIL and VM will by default use ~/RMAIL
era> and ~/INBOX, respectively, where these are files, not
era> directories. (Dunno about Gnus, probably somebody here uses that?
era> I seem to recall the Gnus instructions basically tell you to
era> create a directory for mail.)

Gnus uses ~/Mail/ as default for its mail backends.  Some of the
backends also use subdirectories of that.  I am not sure at the moment
if the new user has to create ~/Mail/ ; the subdirectories are
definitely created automatically by Gnus and users don't have to worry
about them.

era> A related issue: As of Procmail 3.13 (or 3.12 but I guess nobody
era> ever settled on that) Procmail is more paranoid about the
era> permissions on the .procmailrc file, and will refuse to use it if
era> it is group or world writable. A frequent problem on some systems
era> is that the users' home directories are group writable but always
era> belong to a group with only one member, namely the user in
era> question. This will make Procmail upset unless it was configured
era> at compile time to shut up about this.  (This is notably the case
era> on Red Hat systems, although I believe they fixed their
era> precompiled RPM version of 3.13.1 now.)

Debian has the user per group setup as well, but procmail works fine
there.

--
<itz(_at_)transbay(_dot_)net> general personal mail
<itz(_at_)prosa(_dot_)it> gpm (and|or) other free software (co)?maintained by me