Procmail Quick Start pointer (& some questions)

1999-09-13 14:58:30
I just did a fairly major update of my Procmail Quick Start and I'd
appreciate feedback on this latest incarnation. Here is the new
outline:

 * Overview
  * Terms Used in this Article
  * Strategies
    + Modularize and Plug & Play
    + Stick to a Style
  * Step by Step Through Setting Up and Testing Procmail
    1. Is Procmail on Your System?
    2. Set Up Procmail Files for Testing
    3. Test Your Procmail Setup
    4. Create Recipes to Sort Mailing List Messages
  * Understanding Procmail Recipes
  * Tracking Your Incoming Messages
  * Accessing Your Message Folders
  * Pulling the Plug on Procmail
  * Troubleshooting
    + General Strategies
    + Alternate .forward Files
  * Getting More Procmail Information
  * Thanks
  * Author Blurb for the Book

Here is where you can find it:

 Primary: http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/
 Backup: http://www.best.com/~ii/internet/robots/procmail/qs/

MY QUESTIONS
------------
* Do my definitions of "string" and "word" make sense and do the use
  of these words in the article make sense?

* I now use yes/no rather than on/off for the VERBOSE settings. Do
  older versions of procmail support yes/no? (I changed this so it
  is consistent with LOGABSTRACT's all/no settings. But maybe I should
  use on/off for VERBOSE and all/off for LOGABSTRACT -- opinions?)

* Does anyone have any idea when the next release of procmail will be?
  Since this will be published in a book I'd like to say that 3.13.1
  is the latest release as of <some date in the future> (rather than
  as of today).

* Is $HOME/nsmail the default folder directory for Netscape Messenger?

* What is the default folder directory for other mailers?

* What do you think is the best command for people to try first in
  their .forward file? Is what I've got in step 2G the best?

* In "Understanding Procmail Recipes" I discuss messages that are
  Bcc'd to a list and how the ^TO_ header will often not catch these
  messages. Does this section make sense to you? Any suggestions for
  how to write this more clearly?

* On some systems the .forward file will not be used if it is world
  writable. Is this the case on *all* systems?

Thanks for your feedback,
Nancy

--
©Nancy McGough       http://www.ii.com       Infinite Ink
--= Sent via PINE: Internet News & Email for Win/Unix =--