Re: procmail as sendmail filter

2000-02-07 18:06:53
2000-02-07-19:38:39 Ruud H.G. van Tol:
Did you also mean to say that:
* B ?? 1^1 > 1
{ }
SIZE = $=
---
does exactly the same as:
---
 :0 B
 * 1^1 > 1
 { SIZE = $= }
---
?

Yes, I suppose I did. Though what I probably should have said
instead (since I'm so deep over my head trying to decypher this
stuff, I haven't played disassembler for machine language in nearly
20 years) was more like "I don't know any reason why the second
version wouldn't do the exact same thing as the first version".

Don't get me wrong; I'm still a good disassembler; but for most of
the last 20-odd years I've confined myself to attempting to achieve
a perfect understanding of the virtual machine implied by C or
Bourne Shell or Perl, so I can debug them with confidence.

This is the first time in a long time I've tried to mentally
interpret a language as densly cryptic as raw machine language. And
if someone designed a chip with an architecture like this, we'd put
him away.

The second version looks clearer to me.

Me too --- although that's only because it's shorter, not because
it's actually any clearer:-).

-Bennett

P.S. I'd argue that the _right_ notation would be something more
like

        SIZE = length(body);

or something pretty close to that.