Re: Counting lines

2000-02-29 07:00:06
Liviu Daia <Liviu(_dot_)Daia(_at_)imar(_dot_)ro> writes:
On 28 February 2000, Andrew Edelstein <andrew(_at_)infonent(_dot_)com> wrote:
I also noticed that if I tried
|/usr/bin/formail -A "Lines: $=" >> /home/andrew/mail/testing

I got "Lines: $=" (a literal "$=") header, instead of a count of the
number of lines. This is why I began experimenting with the latter
recipe above.  Thoughts? Explanations? "Alms for a poor wretched
procmail beginner?" :)

   I don't know, I suppose this one is a bug.  Philip?

Nope.  $= is only special to procmail, not to the shell.  Since the above
action contains characters from $SHELLMETAS (the '>'s), the expansion has
to be done by the shell and not procmail.  Thus the $= is not expanded.
If its value was copied to a normal variable and that was used in the
action then it would work.

Philip Guenther