Re: Procmail as non-local agent

2000-06-20 14:47:38
Hello John and Procmail fans!

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, John Heyer wrote:

I have a similar setup, the problem is most of the internal mail servers
are NT, usually running MS Exchange.  It's been my understanding that
Sendmail can't be configured to filter through procmail, then relay out to
the internal mail server.

        That was the understanding that I have gotten as well. The company
I am interning for needs a solution to filter attachments at the relay
server before they come to our internal network of exchange
servers. (Exact setup you have.) I just started playing with another
mailer -- Exim -- that is a Mail Transfer Agent (MTA) as well as a Local
Delivery Agent (LDA). They are sporting a "Generic Windows Executable
Content filter" on their homepage, exim.org.

        I am still rooting for procmail to have a quick, perhaps dirty,
but reliable way to filter sendmail relay traffic, but I believe that the
inability of procmail to filter is more of a problem with sendmail's relay
configuration, and less with procmail. (Not to mention procmail was never
ment to do anything but filter Local Delivery, for which it is _very_ good
at...)

Regards,
---Matthew Genelin---