RE: global user footer

2000-07-05 10:31:09
 Bad idea. It can be done with tremendous effort, but may be difficult to get
 right.

Allow me to elaborate. We run a free POP mail service. In exchange for letting
people have
free email, we tack on a 4 line advertisement to the bottom of all of their
emails. (ala
Yahoo, Hotmail, etc.) However, since we're not web based, we can't do it
through the mail
form, so instead, we have to get at the MDA. Since our host won't allow any
significant
access to sendmail, we have to rely on something that'll interface directly
with sendmail.

 Done the wrong way, it'll break all kinds of stuff, like electronic
 signatures.

 The only possibility I know of to get it right is to create a mulitpart/mixed
 MIME email with the original message as message/rfc822 attachment and the
 disclaimer als text/plain.

 I'd stay away from it. Add an X-Header if you need some sort of
 disclaimer.

I'm quite prepared to deal with all the formatting possibilities separately,
however we
first need to get some basic footers running. Quite a predicament eh? :(