Re: Problem with installation of procmail v3.15.1

2001-03-09 00:19:59
Jim McMaster <mcmaster(_at_)falcon(_dot_)stortek(_dot_)com> writes:
I just downloaded and installed procmail-3.15.1, and had a problem installing
it on Solaris 2.7.  The "make" went fine, as did the "make install".  After
that, I got no mail, no log entries...nothing.

I finally tracked it down in a Mail Delivery Notification message:
ld.so.1: /home/mcmaster/bin/procmail: fatal: libgen.so.1: open failed: No
such file or directory
Procmail could not find libgen.so.1.  I removed the "-lgen" from the
"SEARCHLIBS", recompiled and all my mail came flooding in.  Note this cames
after a warning not to touch things below unless "you *think* you know what
you are doing".  I didn't, so did not change anything.

This was fairly easy to find and fix, but isn't there a way for the install
to verify the existence of these files rather than silently generating a
module that won't run?

You must be running procmail on a different machine then the one you
compiled it on.  The "init" step in the make process _does_ look to see
if the library exists.  Indeed, it compiles and links a test program to
see which libraries are present.

I'm surprised it couldn't find libgen: /usr/lib/libgen.so.1 is part
of SUNWcsl (Core Solaris, (Shared Libs)) package, the package that
includes libc!  Perhaps your sysadmin has been removing random files?

Philip Guenther