First time post to procmail list

2001-07-25 23:28:49
Hello List,

I am just getting into Procmail and have a few questions
before I install it and use it.I am using Solaris 7 and
sendmail 8.9.3 (old I know). I want to use Procmail with
sendmail to filter (spam/viruses etc) all users email in
one place and not individual home directories. I want to
confirm how this is done. Most users do not have real
home directories in the passwd file which is the way I
would like to keep it for now.

1) My mail files location for all users is /var/mail
which is actually a link to /opt/mail. If I put a
.forward file in /var/mail, will this work to filter all
incoming mail before it places it in the appropriate
user's mail file? What do I need to know and how is it
done to filter in one place for all incoming mail and not
in each user's home directory?

2) How do I tell sendmail to use Procmail and how do I do
it?

3) Please verify to me what the list thinks is the latest
and greatest version of Procmail is.

Thank you for your help.
Jim LaGore
jelagor(_at_)att(_dot_)net