Re: procmail - mutt milebox problem

2001-08-07 20:15:10
Correct, the message of $HOME/Mail not being created, and $MAIL: No such
file or directory, have absolutely nothing to do with each other.  I
only used that as an example of how primative Mutt can be at times.

Mutt will read a lot of different file "formats" with no basic problem.
Up until recently, it would even read procmail.log, but two releases ago
it stopped doing that.

If you answer yes to Mutt when it asks would you like it to create
$HOME/Mail, it will in fact create it for you.  I go through and specify
in /etc/Muttrc, or where ever it is on that server, to use $HOME/mail,
that's just me.  So I never see that message.  But if there's no mail in
$MAIL, there's no file there to read, so that's why it complains.

However, two or three versions ago, if you left the line:

my_hdr Organization:

Just like that, with nothing there after, it would cause a core dump.  I
banged my head up against the wall trying to figure out why the heck
this was happening!  I sent a few messages to the mutt list and they
basically told me it was because that line was empty.  They'd never
tested something like that so they didn't know it would happen.  Then
told me, "Well if you're smart enough to edit your own .muttrc you
should be smart enough not to leave a line like that, but we'll look
into it."  I just tested it in Mutt 1.2.5i, and 1.3.15i and the problemm
doesn't occur.

But that's getting off topic.  But the problem experienced by the user
has nothing to do with procmail.  Maybe Mutt will later have an option
to then create $MAIL as well, but then again that may just be a bad
idea.
tdh

--
T. Holmes

Uptime:
   10:49pm  up 6 days,  9:43,  5 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00