Re: Procmail 3.22 with Qmail Maildirs

2001-10-16 00:44:14
Philip Guenther wrote:

Andrew Hill <list(_at_)fornax(_dot_)net> writes:
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/bin

I'm not sure what you intended this line to do.  Removing it is probably
the Right Thing.

Okay. I'm new to Procmail, so I'll follow your lead.

Um, why bother setting MAILDIR if you're just going to qualify everything
after that with it?  Don't set MAILDIR unless you want procmail to
change directories.  I would suggest replacing the above three lines with:

        DEFAULT = $HOME/Maildir/
        LOGFILE = $HOME/procmail-log

Yeah, okay. That makes sense.

I would also suggest moving the LOGFILE assignment to the very top of the
rcfile, before the VERBOSE assignment.

So does this! Done! My .procmail file is now:

####
LOGFILE=$HOME/procmail-log
VERBOSE=yes
DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/

:0
* ^Subject:.*Flame
/dev/null
####

If you remove $HOME/procmail-log and send yourself an email, procmail
should recreate it.  Does it?

No, it doesn't.

Does procmail
give any errors when you run it from the command line with something like
        procmail < /path/to/file/containing/one/email/message

Yes, it gives:

####
procmail: Unable to treat as directory "/var/spool/mail/andrew"
####

I assume this is related to the below items...

If you want to change the mailspool location for the entire system, then
you should tell procmail the real location via the MAILSPOOL* #defines.

Yep...

You didn't look far enough.

Try it again with just:

#define MAILSPOOLHOME "/Maildir/"

Ah, my mistake. Sorry, I wasn't sure about that one.

You don't need the MAILSPOOLSUFFIX setting; it's only needed/used when
MAILSPOOLHOME _isn't_ defined.

Again, ah. Okay, I'll get rid of that setting.

Cool, now when I run procmail from the command line and pass in a mail, it delivers! It also works for incoming mail. Excellent! Thank you.

However:
1) Any idea why the log file is still not working? Is it just that nothing is worthy of being logged?

2) What should I have in src/authenticate.c for the MAILSPOOLDIR definition? I've still got it set to "~/Maildir". What is this defining?

Thanks,

--
Andrew Hill
"RAID - Don't believe the hype." -- 2001-09-22