Procmail 3.22 with Qmail Maildirs

2001-10-15 21:25:22
Hi,

Sorry about jumping on list and asking for help, but I just can't figure this one out.

I'm trying to get procmail 3.22 deliver mail to my qmail maildir. Here's the way I have things set up:

1) Installed Procmail 3.22 from source, no changes made to Makefile and config.h

2) Calling procmail from .qmail file via wrapper script as advised in the Life with Qmail FAQ (see http://www.lifewithqmail.org/lwq.html#procmail)

3) The following is my .procmail file (just for testing :-):

####
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/bin
VERBOSE=yes
MAILDIR=/home/andrew
DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/Maildir/
LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/procmail-log

:0
* ^Subject:.*Flame
/dev/null
####

No error shows up in the mail log, and nothing at all shows up in /home/andrew/procmail-log. (Should anything show up here? LOGFILE is set, so surely it should log, and not mail me back?)

Mail sent to the account bounces back from qmail with the errors:

####
procmail: Couldn't create "/var/spool/mail/andrew"
procmail: Lock failure on "/var/spool/mail/andrew.lock"
procmail: Error while writing to "/var/spool/mail/andrew"
####

Okay, so it's trying to use /var/spool/mail/ for temporary files still. According to the Life with Qmail FAQ, this is becuase I haven't changed the default for $HOME.

The examples/advanced file in the Procmail source advises me to edit config.h, and config.h advises me to edit the "MAILSPOOLDIR, MAILSPOOLSUFFIX, MAILSPOOLHASH or MAILSPOOLHOME" entries in src/authenticate.c.

Looking at these entries in the file, my guess is that I should have:

####
#define MAILSPOOLDIR    "~/Maildir/"

#define MAILSPOOLSUFFIX "/"
####

However, after re-installing with these settings, I get the following error:

####
procmail: Unable to treat as directory "/var/spool/mail/andrew"
procmail: Couldn't create "/var/spool/mail/andrew"
procmail: Unable to treat as directory "/var/spool/mail/andrew"
procmail: Lock failure on "/var/spool/mail/andrew.lock"
procmail: Error while writing to "/var/spool/mail/andrew"
####

So, why is that? Why aren't I getting anything in the log file? Why isn't it delivering to the maildir? What (obvious?) item am I overlooking?

TIA,

--
Andrew Hill
"RAID - Don't believe the hype." -- 2001-09-22